ARTICLE I - NAME OF ORGANIZATION
Section 1. The name of this organization shall be the LCC Student Nurses' Association.
ARTICLE II - Purpose and Function
Section 1. Purpose
A. To assume responsibility for contributing to nursing education in order to provide for the highest quality of health care.
B. To provide programs representative of fundamental interests and concerns to nursing students.
C. To aid in the development of the whole person, including his/her professional role, his/her responsibility for health care of people in all walks of life.
Section 2. Function
A. To have direct input into standards of nursing education and influence the education process.
B. To influence health care, nursing education and practice through legislative activities as appropriate.
C. To promote and encourage participation in community affairs and activities towards health care and the resolution of related social issues.
D. To represent nursing students to the consumer, to institutions, and other organizations.
E. To promote and encourage students' participation in interdisciplinary activities.
F. To promote and encourage recruitment efforts, participation in student activities, and educational opportunities regardless of a person's race, color, creed, national origin, ethnicity, age, gender, marital status, lifestyle, disability or economic status.
G. To promote and encourage collaborative relationships with nursing and health related organizations.
ARTICLE III - MEMBERS
Section 1. School Constituent
A. School constituent membership is composed of active or associate members who are members of the
B. (School association) shall be composed of at least 10 members from (school) or the total school enrollment if less than 10. There shall be only one chapter on this school campus.
C. For yearly recognition as a constituent, an officer of the (school association) shall submit annually the Official Application for
D. A constituent association that fails to comply with the bylaws and policies of
E. (School association) is an entity separate and apart from
Section 2. Categories of Constituent Membership
Members of the constituent associations shall be:
A. Active members:
1. Students enrolled in state approved programs leading to licensure as a registered nurse.
2. Registered nurses enrolled in programs leading a baccalaureate degree with a major in nursing.
3. Active members shall have all the privileges of membership.
B. Associate members:
1. Pre-nursing students, including registered nurses, enrolled in college or university programs designed as preparation for entrance into a program leading to an associate degree, diploma or baccalaureate degree in nursing.
Associate members shall have all of the privileges of membership except the right to hold office as
C. Individual members:
Individual membership shall be open at the national level to any eligible student when membership in a constituent association is not available. Individual members shall have the privileges of membership as prescribed in
D. Active and associate membership shall be renewable annually.
Active and associate
ARTICLE IV - DUES
A. The Annual
B. The annual
C. The school association board of
D. National and state dues shall be payable directly to
E. Any member who fails to pay current dues shall forfeit all privileges of membership.
(If there are school chapter dues, add under this section.
ARTICLE V. - Board of Directors
Section 1. Composition
A. The Board of Directors will consist of: President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Projects Chairperson, and Newsletter Correspondent.
Section 2. Responsibilities
A. The Board of Directors shall be responsible for:
1. Transacting business of the association between membership meetings and shall report such transactions at the next regularly scheduled membership meeting.
2. Filling vacancies in any office by two-thirds majority vote of Board of Directors except the office of President.
3. Reviewing monetary disbursements, acquisitions and fund raising activities and shall be responsible for procuring persons for audit of all accounts on an annual basis.
Section 3. Quorum.
A quorum for the board meetings shall be the
Section 4. Duties of the Board of Directors shall consist of:
1. Shall preside at all meetings of this association, appoint special committee as needed, perform all other duties pertaining to the office and represent this association in all matters to the local state nurses association, the local league for nursing, state nursing student association, National Student Nurses' Association, and other professional and student organizations.
2. Shall serve as chairperson of the board of directors
B. Vice President
1. Shall assume responsibility of the office of president in the event of the vacancy occurring in the office until the next regular election.
2. Shall preside at meetings in the absence of the president.
3. Shall assist the president as delegated and act as advisor to the president.
1. Shall record and distribute the minutes of all meetings of this association as directed by the president.
2. Shall keep on file as a permanent record all reports, papers
and documents submitted to the secretary.
3. Refer to dully appointed committees the necessary records for the completion of business.
4. Forward minutes to the state nursing student association board as well as the names and addresses of all officers and committee chairpersons after their election or appointment.
5. Deliver to the newly elected secretary all association papers.
1. Shall serve as chairperson of the budget/finance committee.
2. Submit financial reports to the membership as directed by the president.
3. Prepare financial reports submitted at the monthly board of directors' meeting.
4. Keep a permanent record of all dues received from members and any other income and expenses.
5. Remit payment for approved debits according to the following:
a) Disbursement of Funds
1. Requests for disbursement of funds shall be made in writing to the Board of Directors.
2. Upon approval the treasurer will issue checks for those requests approved.
3. No funds will be disbursed without prior approval.
E. Projects Chairperson
1. Serves as chairperson of Projects Committee.
2. Attend student activities council meetings.
3. Be accountable to the membership for notification of pending student activities.
F. Newsletter and Web Site Editor
1. Submit articles to (state newsletter title).
2. Submit articles to Imprint “Happenings” column according to publication deadline.
3. Submit association activities to school yearbook.
4. Keep bulletin board up-to-date.
5. Prepare a school newsletter and maintain web site as directed by the board of directors.
Section 5. Absences
A. Members of the board of directors who have missed more than two regularly scheduled meetings of any current term year without prior notification to the board of directors and who offer no valid reason for such absences may be removed from office by a plurality vote of the current membership present at the next scheduled meeting. The officer in question will be notified in advance of the meeting.
B. An officer may also be removed from office by a plurality vote of the members of the board of directors present at a meeting called for that purpose if that officer is deemed negligent in the functions of that office as stated in these bylaws.
C. Prior notification of two weeks shall be given to the individual in question and a special Board of Directors meeting shall be held to review the circumstances.
ARTICLE VI - ELECTIONS
Section 1. Election of Board of Directors
A. Elections shall be held at the annual business meeting.
B. All elections shall be by secret ballot.
C. A plurality vote of the members present and entitled to vote and voting shall constitute an official election.
D. In the event of a tie, a revote shall be held.
E. All nominations shall be made from the floor.
ARTICLE VII - MEETINGS
Section 1. Membership Meetings
A. Meeting dates shall be set by a plurality vote of members present at each previous meeting.
B. Meeting location and time will be voted on a approved by a plurality vote of members present and voting at each previous meeting.
C. The President shall have the authority to convene a special meeting as such time as is deemed necessary and shall notify the general membership of such meeting, location, and time.
ARTICLE VIII - COMMITTEES
Section 1. Appointments
A. Committee chair appointments shall be made by the board of directors and shall be deemed standing committees unless otherwise stated at time of appointment.
B. Committee members shall be appointed by the committee chairperson or selected by the Board of Directors from a group of volunteers.
Section 2. Responsibility
A. All committees shall be responsible to the Board of Directors for reporting committee activities on a regular basis and shall, upon direction of the Board of Directors, report same to the general membership.
ARTICLE IX - DELEGATES
Section 1. Purpose and Function
A. To serve as spokesperson for this association at the annual state and national conventions.
B. Present to the state and national organizations all proposed resolutions or amendments to bylaws or policies proposed by this association.
C. Keep informed as to all current and proposed resolutions at the state and national levels and report information to this association's membership at regularly scheduled membership meetings.
D. Make available to members updates, explanations, and copies of current and proposed state and national resolutions.
Section 2. Qualification and Appointment
A. Any member maintaining a grade level of C or above, who is active in (school association) projects and is nominated by current membership at a regularly scheduled meeting is eligible to hold the position of delegate.
B. Appointment shall be for one (1) year and shall be made by nomination of those members eligible and voted on by the current membership eligible to vote and voting. The nominee receiving the majority of votes cast shall be awarded the position.
Section 3. Delegate Representation
A. School constituents:
(School association), when recognized as an official
The (school association) delegate(s) and alternate shall be a member(s) in good standing in the chapter and shall be selected and/or elected by members of the school chapter at a proper meeting according to chapter bylaws. The school association may designate an alternate delegate for each delegate by one of the following two mechanisms:
a )Selection and/or election by members of the school
chapter according to chapter bylaws; or
b) Written authorization to the State Board of Directors
requesting them to appoint a member of the State Board
to act as a state-appointed alternate for their school
School chapters shall approve the appointment.
The State Board of Directors shall verify that any state appointed alternate is a member in good standing of the
A school chapter must have a selected and/or elected delegate present at the
All alternates, whether school selected or state-appointed, shall have the same privileges as an elected delegate when seated in the House.
3. The school association shall be entitled to delegates according to the number of members in good standing in
ARTICLE X - AMENDMENTS
Amendments to the bylaws may be made with a 2/3 vote of those present and voting at a membership meeting provided that notice of proposed amendments has been sent to members at least four weeks prior to the meeting. Only proper amendments submitted in writing and carrying the proponent's signature will be considered.
ARTICLE XI - PARLIAMENTARY AUTHORITY
All meetings of this association shall be conducted according to the parliamentary law as set forth in